Friday, August 8, 2008

Meet Steve

Steve sunbathes

Steve officially "arrived" last night when I affixed his tail and stitched up the hole for his stuffing. (I tried to make that procedure as painless as possible, but I may have heard some grumbles from him when I temporarily used his belly as a pin cushion during a sewing break.) Steve is the first soft toy I've created. It was a harrowing journey (sandwiching in all those limbs was a challenge!), but I am pleased with the result and am excited about creating some Friends-of-Steve with my fabric stash.

Steve's pattern--and his name--come from Denyse Schmidt Quilts, which provides a nice introduction to quilting through some fairly simple small projects. Someday, (maybe when Noodle enters preschool!) I will attempt one of the 10 stunning quilt projects also included in the book. I like the vibrant colors and "wonky-on-purpose" look of her designs.

Noodlebug has taken a shine to Steve, so, unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to replace his pretty vintage button eyes with felt circles for safety. The buttons came from a recent trip to an antique store in Santa Rosa's Railroad Square:

No comments: